It’s pumpkin season! We are talking pumpkin coffee, pumpkin ice cream, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin donuts, pumpkin lattes, pumpkin roll, pumpkin bread, never pumpkin pie, and yes, pumpkin muffins. I hate that pumpkin is only best enjoyed in the fall, but hey, might as well take advantage of it, right?
Here’s a super delicious pumpkin muffin recipe and the best part is, it has cream cheese ribbons! There’s no dairy, butter or eggs–all vegan. The apple sauce and pumpkin puree make the muffins extra moist and I promise they are worth it.
Vegan pumpkin muffins with cream cheese ribbons
Prep Time: 9-10 minutes | Cook Time: 19-21 minutes | Total Time: 30 minutes | Servings: 24 servings
- 1-15 ounce can of pumpkin puree
- 1 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of applesauce
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp n of baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp of cloves
- 1/4 tsp of nutmeg
- A pinch of salt
Cream Cheese Ribbons:
- 8 ounces of vegan cream cheese (try GO VEGGIE or Miyoko’s)
- 1/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Coat two muffin trays with oil and set aside.
- In a small/medium bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, spices, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, mix pumpkin puree and both sugars.
- Then add in applesauce, oil, and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth.
- Next, slowly pour in the set aside dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, mix cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Fill each muffin tray hole two-thirds up with the muffin mixture.
- Top with one tablespoon of cream cheese mixture and create a ribbon-like (swirl) pattern with a fork.
- Bake for 19-21 minutes.
- After removing from oven, cool muffins for about 10 minutes.