You got engaged!!! Congratulations, now let the fun, stress-free wedding planning begin…This is not the case for everyone. Although the excitement of marrying the man or woman of your dreams and throwing the biggest party of your life looks easy on the popular wedding reality shows, the reality is, this is one of the most stressful times that a couple may go through, and it can have you second guessing your decision to marry.
Here are five of my helpful tips to keep your sanity during the wedding season.
- Attend pre-marital counseling. Going through pre-marital counseling is important for the couple and also required by most clergy members before they will marry you. Going through counseling helps put a lot of things in perspective that you may not have considered before becoming engaged. A few topics that may be discussed include spiritual beliefs, finances, family planning, growing together and facing adversities as a married couple. Pre-marital counseling is offered by most churches or places of worship, and private family counselors as well.
- Set a firm budget. Over the years, weddings have become more and more elaborate. If you set a budget early in your planning process, it will help to prevent you from overspending on unnecessary items and reduce your stress in the long run, and not start your new life together in wedding expense debt. I recommend once you have booked all of your vendors and have all of your details in place, avoid attending additional wedding shows and expos looking for more ideas. Details are wonderful, but overdoing it can have a significant impact on your wallet.
- Hire a professional. You really want to enjoy your day and not keep track of: All of your vendors’ delivery times, bridal party arrival times, setup and break down, making sure the aisle runner is pre-set, making sure your flowers have arrived on time, making sure your limo driver has the correct addresses for pick up and drop off, making sure all the candles are lit, and the parents of the bride are ready for the grand entrance, hiring wedding music bands, and the list goes on. Hiring a professional wedding planner is one of the best investments you can make to ensure you enjoy your day. A lot of planners have great money saving tips, access to special discounts, and creative ways to execute your vision without breaking the bank.
- Make your guest list special. With the pressures of extending an invite to everyone you currently know or friends from the past, try to simplify your guest list to family and friends that mean the most to you, not just associates on social media. After all, a wedding is a sacred ceremony, not a class or family reunion.
- Keep your focus on what is important. It is so easy to get caught up in the fairytale and glamorous aspects of planning a wedding. The most important part of the entire process is not the perfect dress or perfect cake–it is the two imperfect people that want to join their lives together as one. Stay true to each other, and do not focus on impressing your guests. Instead, stay focused on the commitment you will be making to one another and the rest will fall into place.
About Joi Adamson
With almost a decade of experience, Wedding & Floral Stylist Joi Adamson specializes in fresh flowers and considers herself a perfectionist. Joi’s attention to detail and ability to work with any budget, keeps her in high demand as she produces weddings around the country. Find out more at joiadamson.com.